Archivio

Archive for aprile 2014

Police asks minorities to secure themselves but when asked for arms license the request was refused!

RAWALPINDI:
A directive by the Punjab government to enhance security for minorities’ places of worship has resulted in station house officers (SHOs) passing on the buck by issuing a long list of measures to be taken by the administrations of temples and churches.

After a recent directive issued by the home department for the security of minorities’ places of worship, Christian and Hindu worshippers complained that no steps had been taken on ground. According to a story published on March 31, the home department had directed the police to tighten security in view of possible terrorist attacks.

According to a notice issued by various SHOs to temples and churches of the garrison city, the administrations have been asked to take nine steps for their protection. These include the installation of CCTV cameras, storing one month’s footage, securing the place with barbed wire, eight-foot high boundary walls, setting up a police post on the roof, proper lighting and hiring security guards from a registered company which is verified by the police.

Entry gates and barriers should be installed as well, states the notice. Also, the police should be informed before the start of a ceremony so that they can make security arrangements. Representatives of minorities said provision of security is the responsibility of the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB).

“ETPB is the guardian of all temples and it is their responsibility to provide funds for security requirements,” said Hindu-Sikh Social Welfare Council President Jag Mohan Arora. In 2010, we received the same notice and we informed the police as well as EPTB officials, but the latter paid no heed despite repeated requests and visits, he added. “We are in the habit of lamenting after a tragedy occurs but who cares.”

We cannot even arrange sufficient funds for religious ceremonies, how can we set aside such a huge sum to implement these steps? asked Ashok Chand.

Dr Samuel Titus, chairman Clergy Association of Pakistan and pastor St. Paul’s Church, Rawalpindi, said security is provided to big churches only on special occasions. After a suicide attack on a church in Peshawar, the government allowed us to make our own arrangements but when we applied for arms licences, the government rejected the applications.

“We have urged the government to permit arms licences for churches,” he maintained. We are capable of protecting our worship places but the government should also take some initiative. It is impossible for a security guard to stop an attacker equipped with sophisticated weapons with a stick.

Rawalpindi Senior Superintendent of Police (Operations) Mian Maqbool said, “We have already taken steps to protect churches and temples.” On special occasions like Diwali or Christmas we provide foolproof security to them. “We even provided parking space which was protected.” At the same time, he brought up the issue of a shortage of police personnel, while speaking about enhanced security.

A delegation is expected to arrive for celebrating Besakhi from India on April 10 for which we have made arrangements, he added.
Published in The Express Tribune, by Fawad Ali, April 5th, 2014.

See the link: http://tribune.com.pk/story/691476/limited-responsibility-police-ask-minorities-to-secure-themselves/

Annunci

Sawan Masih: Conferenza Stampa nella Sala Stampa di Palazzo Montecitorio. Pakistani Cristiani in Italia e i parlamentari italiani insieme per salvare Sawan Masih

images[3]

CONFERENZA STAMPA
mercoledì 2 aprile ore 10.00
Sala Stampa di Palazzo Montecitorio
Ingresso Via della Missione, 4

Pakistan: l’ennesima ingiustizia ai danni della minoranza cristiana. Giovedì 27 marzo il tribunale di primo grado di Lahore ha condannato a morte per blasfemia il 26enne cristiano Sawan Masih, accusato di aver insultato il profeta Maometto. Per denunciare l’accaduto e sensibilizzare l’opinione pubblica, l’Associazione Pakistani Cristiani in Italia, in collaborazione con alcuni parlamentari italiani rappresentati dall’on. Paola Binetti, ha indetto una conferenza stampa che si terrà mercoledì 2 aprile alle ore 10 presso la Sala Stampa di Palazzo Montecitorio. Nel corso dell’evento sarà presentata la campagna di raccolta-firme “Salviamo Sawan Masih”, a cui è già possibile aderire inviando una email all’indirizzo salviamosawanmasih@yahoo.it, indicando nome e cognome.
Interverranno tra gli altri: on. Paola Binetti, deputato UDC; on. Rocco Buttiglione, UDCPTP; on. Lorenzo Cesa, UDCPTP; on. Gian Luigi Gigli, deputato PI; Sara Fumagalli, presidente onorario Associazione Pakistani Cristiani in Italia; Marta Petrosillo, giornalista esperta di libertà religiosa; prof. Mobeen Shahid, fondatore Associazione Pakistani Cristiani in Italia.
Il verdetto emesso dal Tribunale di primo grado di Lahore non rappresenta soltanto una nuova condanna a morte di un cristiano accusato di blasfemia, ma una prova tangibile della disparità di giudizio nei confronti delle minoranze religiose. Nel marzo 2013 la denuncia contro Sawan Masih ha scatenato l’ira di oltre tremila musulmani che si sono scagliati contro il quartiere cristiano dove l’uomo viveva, Joseph Colony, incendiando 178 abitazioni, una ventina di negozi e due chiese. Oltre 400 famiglie hanno perso la casa, eppure gli 83 uomini ritenuti colpevoli dell’attacco sono stati tutti rilasciati su cauzione. Mentre il giovane cristiano è stato condannato a morte.Intanto dal carcere di Lahore Sawan Masih continua a proclamarsi innocente. La denuncia per blasfemia è stata presentata da un suo amico musulmano, Imran Shahid, con il quale il giovane cristiano aveva avuto un’accesa discussione a causa di una proprietà immobiliare.
È questo un ulteriore esempio dell’uso improprio della cosiddetta legge sulla blasfemia – corrispondente ad alcuni articoli del codice penale pachistano – spesso sfruttata per risolvere questioni personali e colpire le minoranze religiose. La commissione nazionale di Giustizia e Pace della Conferenza episcopale pachistana ha recentemente denunciato il notevole aumento delle accuse di blasfemia contro i cristiani. Su 32 casi registrati nel 2013, infatti, 12 di questi hanno riguardato imputati cristiani: si tratta del 40% delle denunce, in un paese in cui la minoranza cristiana rappresenta appena il 2% della popolazione.
Per informazioni:
Marta Petrosillo
+393476413344, petrosillomarta@gmail.com

%d blogger hanno fatto clic su Mi Piace per questo: